Pre-requisite: Active ICOI Membership and Active ICOI Fellowship or ICOI Mastership
Who can apply: All members who place AND/OR restore implants. NOTE: You must be CURRENTLY PLACING IMPLANTS to be eligible for Diplomate status.
Application: ICOI Diplomate Application
Sample Diplomate Presentation
1. Provide a listing of one hundred twenty (120) completed implant cases.
- Candidates who place implants: Your cases must include one hundred twenty (120) or more individual implants all of which must be at least three (3) years old from implant placement.
- Candidates who restore and place implants: Your cases must include one hundred twenty (120) or more individual implants AND ancillary procedures with restorations all of which must be at least three (3) years old.
Please record the required cases for credentials on the ICOI Case Documentation Form for Diplomate Candidates.
Please use the following coding system to describe your cases on the documentation form:
- Type of Implant: Root form- RF, Small diameter- SD, Plate Form-PF, Subperiosteal- SP, Narrow Ridge-NRI
- Ancillary Procedure(s): Guided tissue grafts – GTR, Autogenous bone grafts – ABG, Sinus augmentation- SA, Soft tissue grafts- STG, Cone Beam CT Scan – CBCT
- Type of Restoration: Single crown – SCR, Fixed bridge- FBR, Overdenture- OD, Partial overdenture- POD, Fixed-detachable prosthesis- FDP
- Current Status: Satisfactory function- SF, Compromised function- CF, Failed & removed- FR, Lost to recall- LR
2. From the one hundred twenty (120) cases documented, submit twenty (20) cases with the application. The twenty cases should be detailed individually on ICOI’s form as follows:
- Ten (10) cases should be at least three (3) years old and show some diversity in implant selection, ancillary procedures, restorative design and\or materials.
- Ten (10) cases should be of an advanced nature such as treatment of narrow/shallow ridges or utilizing advanced restorative procedures and techniques.
- Fully document twenty (20) cases. Documentation must include patient slides, pre- and post-operative x-rays and clinical photographs of final cases, scans, pre-operative evaluation and planning forms, treatment consent forms, etc. All materials must be submitted digitally, in Keynote or PowerPoint, and can be uploaded in the ICOI members’ section located here: www.icoi.org/members then click on “Credentials” on the left side.
- Choose two (2) of the submitted cases that have been in function at least three (3) years and bring those two cases as well as one (1) recently completed complex case to the oral interview in Keynote or PowerPoint format with pre- and post- operative x-rays and clinical photographs. Also, bring the twenty (20) cases submitted with your application, in case the interviewer requests to see them. Credentialing committee may ask for additional cases.
3. Provide documentation of at least two hundred fifty (250) continuing education (CEU) hours in the preceding five (5) years (either attending in person or completing courses on-line). These hours may also be attained by teaching courses or seminars.
4. Submit evidence of having completed one of the following:
- Authored or co-authored at least one (1) article or case report on implant dentistry.
- Presented at least two (2) lectures or tabletop presentations at implant meetings within the last five (5) years.
5. Provide two (2) letters of recommendation from ICOI Diplomates or members of ICOI’s Advanced Credentials Committee attesting to your knowledge of implant prosthodontics and/or implant surgery.
6. Submit a current Curriculum Vitae (resume).
7. Attend a regional ICOI Diplomate examination. These will be offered during ICOI sponsored or co-sponsored symposia. A written examination will be given as well as an oral interview with examiners from ICOI’s Advanced Credentialing Committee.
8. Diplomate Maintenance Requirements:
- All ICOI Diplomates must maintain their membership in good standing and must attend at least one ICOI sponsored or co-sponsored meeting every three (3) years.
- All ICOI Diplomates must also accumulate one hundred fifty (150) hours or more of “implant education” within five (5) years of becoming an ICOI Diplomate.
All materials for all applications must be submitted digitally, in Keynote or PowerPoint, and can be uploaded in the ICOI members’ section located here: www.icoi.org/members then click on “Credentials” on the left side.